Saturday, April 7, 2012

Folk Speech

Photo taken on I-26 Tennessee/North Carolina border


Do you use any of these words or have you heard them used before?

Dirt Dobber--noun--Mud Wasp

Fire Dogs--noun--Andirons

Nabs--noun--Cheese crackers filled with peanut butter

No account--adj--worthless.   "He is no account."

Partial--adj--To be partial to anything means to like it.  "I am very partial to rhubarb pie."

Peart--adj--lively, feeling well, in good spirits.  "You are looking acting peart today!"

Peaked--adj--looking sickly, pale.  Pronounce it with two syllables "Peak ed".  "John was looking a mite peaked last night."

Wool, Wooling--adj--rubbing, rumpling hair or tousling .  "Stop wooling that kitten to death!"

Copyright 2012--All Rights Reserved--The Wheel & Distaff by Kimberly Burnette-Dean. 

3 comments:

  1. I use them all-except fire dogs-but I do know what that means : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the same way, Tipper. I have heard them called "fire dogs" but we always called them andirons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We called them dog-irons and mud-daubbers. But I heard all the other terms were used frequently by the older folks.

    ReplyDelete

All comments will be moderated. Your comment will appear after it is reviewed.