Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Saratoga Potatoes

This recipe is still commonly used today.  See if you can figure out what we call it!


Saratoga Potatoes

Pare and cut into thin slices on a slaw-cutter four large potatoes (new are best), let stand in ice-cold water while breakfast is cooking; take a handful of the potatoes, squeeze the water from them and dry in a napkin, separate the slices and drop a handful at a time into a skillet of boiling lard, taking care that they do not strike together, stir with a fork till they are a light brown color, take out with a wire spoon, drain well and serve in an open dish.  They are nice served cold.

from:  Buckeye Cookery and Practical Housekeeping.  Marysville, Ohio: Buckeye Publishing Company, 1877. p. 293.

"Bad dinners go hand in hand with total depravity, while a properly fed man is already half saved." (from the cover of the cookbook)

3 comments:

  1. Well who would have thunk it! Thanks for sharing the old recipe next time I make fries I'm going to call them by this name : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first time that I ever made them was when I was working at a living history site. I sliced them almost paper thin and wound up with something that looked quite a bit like potato chips! Of course, visitors to the site were laughing and making fun of the fact that I had "potato chips" on the table until I explained that it was a period recipe! :D

      Delete
  2. Sounds like 'tater chips to me, too!

    ReplyDelete

All comments will be moderated. Your comment will appear after it is reviewed.