Thursday, October 30, 2014

Folk Saying: Crow


Yes, I know these are not crows, but I have been dying to use this photo!
Taken by Kimberly Burnette-Dean 10/28/14

Have you ever heard the saying, "I've got a crow to pick with you?" My dad used it all of the time and I also have heard many other people use it too. He used to say that to me if I had forgotten to do something or did something wrong. For example, I would come into the room and he would say "I've got a crow to pick with you!"  Then he might follow that up with I forgot to pick him up some Pepsi the last time I went to the grocery store. Basically, he was saying that he had a complaint against me.   If you have ever heard someone say "I've got a bone to pick with you", it means the same thing.

I finally found this in The Dictionary of Phrase and Fable (1898), page 254): on the Internet Archive.

 "I must pluck a crow with you; I have a crow to pick with you. 
I am displeased with you, and must call you to account.
 I have a small complaint to make against you. 
In Howell’s proverbs (1659) we find the following, 
“I have a goose to pluck with you,” used in the same sense." (p. 254)

Have you ever heard or used this saying?


No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be moderated. Your comment will appear after it is reviewed.